- 16 oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves, drained
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, if needed
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella (8 – 10 ounces), cut into 16 pieces (cut the cheese into 4 thick slices, then cut each slice into quarters)
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 16 garlic rubbed grilled bread slices or 32 crackers
- barbecue forks or skewers
- Place the tomatoes in an attractive serving bowl.
- Arrange the mozzarella, basil leaves, and grilled bread or crackers in bowls or on a platter.
- Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.
- Skewer a cube of mozzarella.
- Roast it over the fire, turning the skewer to evenly melt the cheese.
- If using a gas grill, you’ll need to bring it as close as possible to the fire without touching the grate.
- When the mozzarella begins to melt and brown, after 1 to 2 minutes over charcoal, a little longer over gas, use a knife or fork to scrape the cheese off the skewer onto a piece of grilled bread.
- Top the cheese with a basil leaf and a piece of sun-dried tomato and place a second piece of grilled bread on top.
- Eat at once.