Turkey in a Trash Can
- 1 Galvanized trash can (The inside needs to be burned out. Simply start a nice fire inside and allow the coating to burn off. Clean thoroughly after. This only needs to be done once and the can will be reusable if cleaned after each use.)
- 1 wooden stake (2″ diameter, 2 1/2 feet long)
- Aluminum foil
- 25 lbs. charcoal
- 1 turkey
- Your favorite seasonings
- Pound stake into ground.
- Line ground with foil to extend 10″ beyond diameter of trash can.
- Place turkey on stake so it is hanging 2″ off the ground (legs pointing down).
- Rub seasoning into skin as desired.
- Place trash can upside down over turkey.
- Start 20 lbs. of charcoal on fire around outside of can and also one layer on top of inverted can.
- This creates a natural convection oven which will reach a VERY high temperature.
- Allow about 5 minutes per pound when cooking turkey, or when internal temperature is at least 180F.
- Add more charcoal as needed to top and/or bottom to maintain a constant heat source throughout the cooking period.